HIGH SCHOOL PLACEMENT TEST
Taking the HSPT is required of all applicants, including incoming freshmen and prospective transfer students. Students applying to the Signum Fidei pathway are not required to take the test. Please contact the Office of Admissions at 503.496.1740 or 503.353.1413 with any questions you may have.
The High School Placement Test is offered at La Salle Prep.
Please contact the Office of Admissions at 503-353-1413.
Taking the HSPT is required of all applicants, including incoming freshmen to students interested in transferring to La Salle Prep for the 2017-2018 school year, (except those applying to the Signum Fidei Pathway.) Most Portland-area Catholic high schools administer the HSPT and require the test results for admission.
The HSPT is a standardized multiple choice test with a short essay question. This test is designed to evaluate basic cognitive and math skills for incoming students. Students do not study for this test; the best preparation for this test is for students to enjoy a good night’s sleep before taking the test.
- High schools request that students take the test at the high school of their first choice. While this indicates a student’s preference, the HSPT scores will be sent to all high schools indicated on the registration form.
- The HSPT, developed by Scholastic Testing Service, is a standardized exam that evaluates verbal, quantitative, reading, mathematics, and English language skills.
- Students may take the test only once.
- There is a one-time test fee of $25.
Check-in begins at the main entrance to La Salle at 12:15 p.m. on Monday.
Please register online before noon on Friday, January 27th. However, walk-in's are welcome. Please allow, extra time to register, and bring cash or check only for the $25 test fee.
Test Day Schedule:
- Students check in, go to their assigned classroom
- Complete a brief essay (15 minutes)
- Verbal Skills test (18 minutes)
- Quantitative Skills test (30 minutes)
- Short Break
- Reading test (25 minutes)
- Full Break
- Mathematics test (45 minutes)
- Short Break
- Language Arts test (25 minutes)
- La Salle will provide pencils and a snack for all students.
- Calculators are not allowed during the test.
- HSPT scores will be mailed to students and families approximately three weeks after the test date. Please indicate on your registration if you’d like your test scores sent to other Portland area Catholic high schools.
- The HSPT is a tool used in the admissions process in addition to the student’s transcripts, teacher recommendations, and the application for admission. Standardized test scores are one indication of the student’s academic abilities, but they are not the only criteria the admissions committee reviews to determine acceptance to La Salle.
In April and May, La Salle will also offer academic testing for specific placement in world languages and computer science courses. Students are not required to take these tests but are encouraged to do so for appropriate class placement in each subject.
All incoming students are required to take a supplemental math placement test (MAP test) at the end of their current school year to determine the best math class placement at La Salle. This test is not included in the admissions process, it is simply to determine placement after the completion of a full year’s math curriculum.